Below are the categories for any articles that are published on our website. You can find articles on topics ranging from heating oil, propane, heating equipment, cooling, energy efficiency and much, much more. Our Home section also contains important tips, insightful facts and helpful how-to guides on lots of topics about everything from home generators to important safety tips for taking care of your home and family. We also update our Featured Articles section with our newest and most relevant seasonal content to help you with your home services throughout the year. Check them out below...
Signs you need to replace your central air conditioning system.
Even with regular maintenance, your central air conditioning system will ultimately reach a point where it isn’t functioning well enough to keep your home cool and comfortable during the summer months. Buying a new system, while an important investment,
is expensive. That's why it's important that you're aware of these signs that could indicate that it’s time to replace your central air conditioning system.
How old is your system?
- A central air conditioning system has an average lifetime of 10-15 years. If your system is close to ten years old or older, it might be smarter to replace it instead of getting it repaired.
- Older air conditioning systems also use R22, a refrigerant, that's being phased out over the next few years out to meet environmental protection regulations. Replacing
this refrigerant with one that complies with regulations is expensive and since it's being discontinued, is becoming more difficult to source. The latest air conditioning systems are comply with these regulations to be more eco-friendly
and are designed to be much more energy-efficient. Using the correct refrigerant, they are also far more eco-friendly because they release fewer carbon emissions.
Your system runs loudly
- If the your air conditioning system sounds like its getting louder while operating, it could be that your duct system isn’t large enough for the square footage of your home. It may also point to a problem with the unit’s indoor coil.
More dust in your home
- If you notice more dust in your home – even after cleaning, there may be leaks in the ductwork. These leaks compromise the efficiency of your air conditioning system, which increase the operating costs.
Rising air conditioning costs
- If your utility bills are going up and you haven't changed the way you use your air conditioning system, it's a sign that your system isn't as efficient as it should be. Heating and cooling costs account for roughly 44% of your utility costs. If you’re
paying more than the average for your area, your air conditioning system may not be working effectively.
- Another red flag is if you're making more air conditioning system repairs and the amount of money you're paying to make them.
Inconsistent cooling and humidity levels
- Your air conditioning system is supposed to remove humidity from the air. If functioning properly, the system will maintain consistent temperatures throughout the house. When the cooling portion of your HVAC system isn’t able to do that effectively,
your equipment is either malfunctioning or there's an issue with your ductwork. Think about the cost of repairing these problems, some of which can be costly, and ask yourself if it is worth your while to spend the money on repairs vs. getting
a new system.
Signs like these can indicate that it's time to think about replacing your air conditioning system. It’s natural to be concerned about the cost of replacing part of your HVAC unit. It’s an expensive purchase, and a huge investment in your
home. Don’t panic at the prospect of having to come up with a lot of money upfront. A new air conditioning unit may wind up eliminating the constant repair costs, and lower your utility bills enough to help you recoup part of your investment.
A newer, more energy-efficient air conditioning system will also increase the resale value of your home.
Making the right choice about replacing your air conditioning system.
As home comfort and service experts, we realize that selecting the right air conditioning system to replace your existing one with all of the options available can be overwhelming and confusing. Our team of air conditioning professional technicians
are experienced, highly qualified, and trained to help ensure that you make the right choice for you, your home and to help you save.
We carry the latest and most energy-efficient air conditioning systems and you can trust our team for fast, expert installation and around the clock repairs to ensure that your new air conditioning system runs at peak performance, while reducing your