Oil vs. Natural Gas - Get the facts!
Thinking about switching from oil to natural gas to heat your home? With years of home heating service experience you can trust us to help clarify the facts vs. the fiction about both fuel sources before making such a big decision.
FACT: Heating oil does not cost more than natural gas.
- Depending on your location, statistics show that heating oil was less expensive than natural gas throughout most of the last 22 years.1
- Unlike oil, natural gas is a non-renewable fossil fuel and increasing consumption of it may lead to a competitive global supply and demand market, as well as rising prices.
- Converting a heating oil system to natural gas is expensive, with tank removal, chimney, plumbing and duct work potentially costing over $9,000!2
FACT: Heating oil really is a clean fuel.
- Nowadays, oil produces almost zero emissions and the latest oil system technologies 'reburn' fuel, lowering emissions even further.
- The latest technologies are also embracing lower sulfur oil blends that, when mixed with biofuels, create an even cleaner heating oil option.
- If a heating oil system is properly maintained, it burns cleanly. Any soot that it creates remains inside the tank.
- With a methane content of 95%, natural gas system losses account for 18% of total global methane emissions, a powerful contributor to global warming and climate change.1
FACT: Heating oil supplies are higher than ever!
- Even if there is a shortage elsewhere in the world, the US isn't dependent on imports or any one source for supply, with 727 million barrels in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and approximately 2 million barrels in the Northeast Heating Oil Reserve
- Renewable biofuel options are also adding to an already substantial and sustainable supply.
- Natural gas consumption is on the rise and there are worries that domestic production won't be able to keep pace with demand.
- Since natural gas isn't renewable and most of the world's natural gas reserves are outside the US, relying on imports is a real possibility in the future.
FACT: Heating oil is very safe.
- Heating oil doesn't ignite until its temperature reaches 140 degrees, when it vaporizes. Drop a lit match into heating oil and it's like dropping it into water, the flame extinguishes on contact!
- Unlike natural gas, you normally have warning signs of an oil system breakdown, like smoke, odors or soot.
- Natural gas is also explosive and leaks are a leading cause of carbon monoxide deaths.3
FACT: Heating oil technologies are improving all the time.
- Heating oil technology is constantly evolving, helping heating oil systems, and the fuel itself, become even cleaner, more efficient and environmentally-friendly.
- Improvement like these have helped the average oil heated home cut consumption by 33.6% over the past 30 years.1
FACT: Heating oil gives you much more control and service options.
- Natural gas normally comes from one big utility, giving you limited choices when picking your provider.
- Heating oil providers provide much more options, along with management and control of your fuel supply. You choose your heating oil provider, how much and when you want to buy it or have it delivered. You also have control of your supply as it's stored
on your own property.
FACT: Heating oil delivers less likely service or supply problems.
- Natural gas pipeline incidents or leaks could disrupt service or endanger your home.
- An oil tank stores your own independent supply safely. A supply that you can monitor and control with far less opportunity for service disruption.
FACT: Heating oil systems live longer.
- The average life expectancy of an oil heat appliance is 30 or more years if they are properly maintained and, the efficiency ratings of new heating oil systems range from 83% to 95%.
- The average life expectancy of a natural gas furnace is only 11-14 years.
FACT: Heating oil provides a more plentiful hot water supply.
- Hot water recovery rates of an oil-fueled water heater are twice as fast as a natural gas water heater and three times as fast as an electric water heater.4
FACT: Heating oil providers like us provide more options to manage energy costs.
- Energy costs always fluctuate but those costs also include natural gas! We're just as concerned energy costs as you are, that's why our range of flexible pricing plans can protect heating oil prices. We also offer payment options to help spread your
annual heating oil costs throughout the year. A natural gas supplier may not have the same range of options to help you save.
- We also have the latest, energy-efficient heating oil systems that you need to help you save on home energy costs now and for years to come.
A great benefit of choosing oil over natural gas to heat your home is that heating oil service providers, like us, can take care of any home heating system, whether it's fueled by oil, propane or natural gas. Unlike natural gas providers, we can also
can take care of tune-ups, have a range of service plans and are here for you 24/7 in any weather. So, it really is a fact! Heating oil remains one of the best options to fuel your home.
Contact us today to learn more about our heating oil services
1 Source: AmericanEnergyCoalition.com
2 Source: Energy Answers Today - Your Guide to Economical & Efficient Home Heating Brochure by Primedia
3 Source: Energy Answers Today Pocket Guide by Primedia www.energyanswerstoday.com