Propane energy efficiency tips.
We're not just the local company that you can trust for all of your propane needs, you can also rely on us as your energy savings partner, too. That's why we want to share these tips with you, to help you save energy and save money
on your propane utility bills:
- Change your furnace filter monthly - Inspect and tune-up your residential heating systems regularly. A heating system that is running well is more efficient.
- Protect against drafts by caulking and weather stripping around windows, doors, and any other openings.
- Invest in a furnace thermostat timer that will lower your heat when you are not home. Turning your furnace down by 10 to 15 percent for eight hours a day can reduce your annual heating bill by as much as 10 percent each year.
- To extend the life of your water heater and increase its energy efficiency, drain and clean it every 6 months.
- You may also save more on your hot-water bill by turning down your water heater from the standard 120 degrees to 115 degrees. Every 10 degree reduction in water temperature results in about an 8 percent savings in energy use.
- Install flow restricting showerheads. You can reduce your water usage by up to 50 percent without affecting the shower pressure.
- If you currently do not have a propane water heater, you should consider converting. Over time, propane water heaters can cost up to 1/3 less to operate and recover hot water twice as fast as electric heaters.
- Repair leaky faucets. A leak that fills a coffee cup in 10 minutes wastes 3,200 gallons of water a year.
- If you are thinking about buying a fireplace, consider one that is fueled by propane. Propane fireplaces are known to spread heat more evenly and burn more efficiently than wood burning fireplaces.