Not all propane companies
are created equal. Whether you’re shopping for price or you’re looking for the highest quality service that delivers the best propane on the market, research will prove which company offers the greatest value for you and your family.
Having information on your side means you can inquire more deeply with your propane supplier about the quality of their service. See below for the most important considerations to take while choosing a propane supplier.
Comparisons are king.
Several factors can set one propane supplier a head above the rest:
- Product Quality and Service Reliability - Customers often leave reviews about their propane suppliers. Seek out these reviews, either on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website, or on their own website. You can then determine whether
the company in question satisfies their customers’ needs and offers reliable service.
- Pricing Plans - Most all propane companies offer pricing plans based on usage and service needs. Make sure to compare pricing plans from multiple propane companies to ensure you’re getting the greatest value for your patronage.
- Delivery Options - Propane companies often split delivery options into two categories—per delivery pricing, or subscription pricing. This means you either pay per propane delivery, or you pay a monthly retainer fee for constant,
reliable delivery and service.
Evaluate products and services from local suppliers.
Most all propane companies provide a similar suite of products and services. You want to make sure you’re receiving the most for your dollar, especially in the event of an emergency.
Here are some common products and services you should expect every propane supplier to provide:
- Propane delivery and tank fill-up
- Emergency response services and 24/7 repairs
- Indoor and outdoor appliance installation
- Rental and purchase of propane equipment, including storage tanks
- Home heating systems
- Home water heating systems
- High-quality propane
Propane delivery options.
Nearly every supplier offers two forms of delivery service. These are the two most common categories of delivery service:
- Automatic Delivery - This option creates a recurring delivery schedule. If you find yourself using a lot of propane, this could be the best option to ensure uninterrupted supply and service.
- As-Needed Delivery - For those who use propane sparingly, this could be the best option for you.
Propane pricing and fees.
For virtually every propane supplier, there are fees associated with delivery, service, and termination of contracts. You can inquire with the supplier about how much they charge for these fees.
We’ve listed all the most common charges, along with questions you can ask your potential supplier directly:
- Storage Tank Installation Fees - "Do they have a fee for installing and setting up a new tank?"
- Minimum Purchases - "Is there a minimum purchase requirement for regular service? Or, is there a minimum purchase requirement for one-time delivery?”
- Delivery Fees - "Do you add a charge for delivering propane, either on an as-needed or monthly basis?”
- Disconnection Charges and Tank Pick Up - “Do you charge to have service disconnected? And, do you charge to pick up my tank after I’ve finished using it?”
- Early Contract Termination - "If I sign a contract for continuous service, do you charge an extra fee if I terminate my service before the contract ends?”
Certification and registration credentials.
Certifications and registrations are required in nearly every state in the country for propane services. You should only want the most qualified technicians to work in and around your home or place of business.
Here are some things you’ll want to know about your potential propane supplier:
- Are they nationally certified, as well as in your state? If they aren’t, ask why not!
- Are they registered and insured in your state? This is a requirement for any and all propane suppliers. If they are not registered or insured, inquire as to why not!
Service hours and support.
A quality propane supplier is one that is ready and able to take your inquiries, day or night. Here are some common and crucial considerations to check with your potential propane supplier:
- Round the Clock Support - There could come a time when you have an emergency. You want to be sure you can contact your propane supplier directly 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Even on holidays.
- Alive on the Line - Are there actual people who will answer your call, whether during business hours or the wee hours of the night?
- Emergency Services - Is staff always on call in case of an emergency? If you have a leak or explosion, you do not want to rely only on the fire department to answer your call.
Safety records and customer satisfaction.
Every propane company you consider should have an excellent reputation for safety when dealing with propane.
As a potential customer, you also want to do your research on how they handle customer complaints and issues. With due diligence, you can find out how well issues were solved, and how quickly.
Here are a couple of ways to research how well your potential propane supplier stacks up:
- The Better Business Bureau (BBB) - The bureau tracks customer complaints from all kinds of companies and follows up to find out how well the response was to those complaints. The BBB also gives ratings to businesses based on these
- Company Website - Customers often leave reviews of propane companies on their websites. Here, you can find out if customers are more often happy or dissatisfied with their services.
Wrapping it all up.
Now that you’ve explored what makes a great propane service company, what are the takeaways?
For one, doing your research will help ensure you choose the best propane company for your needs. From service and product quality to their responsiveness to emergencies and availability of services, you can’t be too careful making sure your propane
company has your back any time of day.
Second, make sure you have a clear understanding of all the commitments you agree to with a contract. What are the various fees you’ll pay for delivery, service, and early termination?
Third, make sure you are completely aware of your potential propane supplier’s safety records. Choosing the wrong propane supplier could mean putting you and your family at risk.
Meenan is a propane supplier that checks all the boxes. Contact us today to find out how we are the best propane supplier on the market!