Is it time to replace your water heater? Don’t ignore these warning signs.
furnace or air conditioning system, your water heater gets less efficient and is more prone to problems the older it is. If you notice any of the following warning signs, it’s a good indicator that it might be time to consider getting yours
Over the counter chemicals
- Unusual and new noises, like banging and knocking, are strong signs that the heater is ready for replacement.
- Does it feel like you’re waiting longer and longer for water to get warm in faucets throughout the house? This is a big sign that your heater is old and incapable of doing its job efficiently.
- If water or utility bills are rising, it’s normally a major sign that your heater is getting old. On average, 10 years is the typical life span of most water heaters. However, heaters powered by electricity tend to last a little longer than
those powered by natural gas.
- Hot water looking rusty when running from your faucets can telegraph hot water tank issues. Cold water looking rusty is usually a different issue, more likely with your home’s water pipe system.
- If you’ve had to have your heater repaired more than twice in the past two years or if you’ve had it repaired after any of the above warning signs and you are still having problems, it’s smart to spend any more money on replacing
your water heater vs wasting money on any further repairs.
Troubleshooting with your water heater.
If your water heater is anywhere from a year to about 10 years old and there are some minor problems, you might be able to help by troubleshooting using the following tips before calling in the professionals for any repairs:
Electric water heaters
- Always check the break panel first to determine if a breaker hasn’t tripped or if a fuse hasn’t blown.
- Check to ensure that the thermostat hasn’t been lowered accidentally.
Natural gas water heaters
- Check to make sure the thermostat is set correctly.
- If water isn’t heating, there may be an issue with the pilot light which should ALWAYS be worked on by a professional.
For any water heater repairs or to learn more about the latest tankless and storage tank water heaters, give your local home experts at Meenan a call today.