Unclogging drains – Tips and tricks.
It happens! From hair to build-up of food debris and more, a clogged drain is frustrating and can make the most normal routine incredibly annoying or almost impossible! There are a number of ways to unclog any drains, using
the following easy-to-find items that you may already have in your home:
Over the counter chemicals
- Buy one that’s safe for all drains or for whatever specific pipes you have in your home, like, PVC or copper, and get help from store employees if you’re unsure.
- Read the directions carefully and follow them, along with safety directions, exactly.
- This works for a bathtub drain clog.
- Fill the tub with enough water to submerge the rubber end of the plunger with water, Place the bowl of the plunger over the bathtub drain and move the plunger up and down vigorously around 10 times.
- Add more force to your plunges if nothing is being sucked out of the tub drain.
- Continue plunging until the water drains freely if you take away the plunger.
- If nothing still comes out, move on to other methods.
Baking soda and vinegar
- Boil a pot of water and pour it down the clogged drain.
- Put a ½ cup of baking soda on top of the boiling water you poured into the drain.
- Leave that to sit in the drain for a couple of minutes.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar and one cup of super-hot water.
- Pour this mixture into the drain.
- Make sure to cover the drain to keep the explosive reaction inside.
- Let everything you’ve poured into the drain sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Finish by flushing the drain with another pot of boiling water again.
Drain snake, claw or wire hanger
- Don’t have a drain snake or claw? Easily make one by straightening a wire hanger.
- Insert the snake, claw, or wire hanger into the drain opening until there’s some resistance that indicates you’ve reached any blockage.
- Rotate against the clog until it feeds deeper into the pipe.
- When it moves freely, pull it out, and hopefully, the clogged debris is attached for you to discard.
- After removing all the clogged items, run hot water at full force for a minute or so.
Still have a clogged drain after trying all of the above? Then it’s time to call in the professionals. Call us today and one of our plumbing team will be there to fix any problems fast.